The Back Story

Friday, June 30, 2017

Love Shrine

 From the time I was very
young, I've loved dioramas. 

These three dimensional vignettes 
often capture a snapshot of life
which tends to spark my imagination.

I guess that's why I'm drawn to
Mexican nichos and shrine boxes. 

The one I'll share with you today
conveys a simple message. . Love. 

I started out with some nice sturdy
boxes for the base and designed
frames out of cardboard. 

More cardboard cutouts were added
to enhance the dimension. 



I then made cold porcelain clay roses. 

Cold porcelain clay was fun to 
work with, but I learned a few important things. 

First of all, don't use a good pot. 

Had I've known my pot would be ruined,
I would've bought a cheap one at the thrift store
to make the clay in. 

Next, when coloring the roses I used
markers instead of paint because it was
easier and less messy.

The problem with that is it completely
dries out the markers and then they're no good. 

Next time I'll put up with a little mess and use paint.  


After that, I covered my shrine boxes with paper mache, let
them dry, and then painted them with a base coat. 


I added some gems along with 
the roses and coated the frame with
a glitter mod podge for some extra sparkle. 


The "LOVE" letters are made
out of folded magazine pages. 
I thought it was so cute. 

I'd gone to Hobby Lobby after
Christmas and picked up a bunch of 
ornaments for a couple dollars each
with the intention of using them in my boxes. 

Thanks for stopping by!

Terri


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reaching out and leaving your comment. Whether it's a word of encouragement or a constructive critique, I'm grateful. Kindness is King either way.