The Back Story

Friday, January 19, 2018

Paintings and Orange Season

It's citrus season in Arizona! 

Here's a view of our orange tree
from out our bathroom window. 

We need to get them off the tree before
blossom time around March. 

Needless to say, we've been eating a
lot of oranges and drinking a lot of juice. 

There's a bunch of trading and giving away
amongst the neighbors this time of year. 

Some have lemons, ruby red or yellow grapefruit,
navel or valencia oranges. 

The smell of their skins is heavenly
when they're fresh off the tree. 

I look forward to blossom time. 

The perfume in the air from 
the orange blossoms is intoxicating. 

I wish I could share it, and our oranges too!


The following is a sugar skull that
my husband had cut out of wood for me. 

It's 19" x 13", so it's a perfectly fun size. 

Instead of hemming and hawing about my design
for this one, I set myself an imaginary timer of 15 minutes.

I worked quickly and just let the design flow naturally. 

When my husband came home from work and I showed
it to him, he said, "That's cool, but the eyes are kind of low."

I said, "Really? They may be a little on the small side, but
I don't thing they're too low.". 

Then I realized, he thought the cheeks were the eyes! haha

Oh well, I'm not changing it. I kind of like it like it is. 



I'm back to my pink cacti in this next piece. 

I just love cactus and I love the color pink. 

It was fun figuring out what to do with her glasses. 

Maybe next time I'll experiment with a glaze
as well as highlights on the lenses. We'll see. . . 


Wishing you a wonderful and creatively
productive weekend! 

11 comments:

  1. Very cool pieces, Terri! I love the colors in both...and all the details on the sugar skull. The more the merrier.

    I can just smell the citrus! I'm nuts about cooking with lemons. We have lemon chicken at least once a week...more if I can play forgetful cook and slip another dinner in. ;D We have a lemon "tree" (more like bush) that we planted a little over a year ago and I don't think the poor thing is thriving. Of course, being surrounded by pine trees isn't doing it any good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for touching base and for your kind words.

      It probably took about 3 years (after planting our orange tree) before we started seeing a good crop of fruit. Don't give up on your lemon tree just yet. haha

      I love cooking and baking with lemons too. I was wondering a little earlier what I should make for dinner tonight and you've given me a great idea. I've got chicken breasts in the freezer and fresh lemons in the fridge. Awesome!

      Delete
  2. All those fruit trees sound like heaven I can almost smell them. Would love a lemon tree esepcially. We have 2 Loquats which after about 20 years had flowers last autumn so hoping for some fruit this year but knowing our weather here in the UK that won't happen.
    I love both of your pieces - now that you mentioned the cheeks I can see how it could look like eyes but its 2 faces in one really which is really cool.
    The girl is fabulous too -love how you did her glasses.
    Have a great weekend..
    Gill x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Gill for stopping by and for your words of encouragement.

      I was intrigued by your loquat trees and had to look them up. They're a beautiful tree. I hope you get some fruit!

      I have a special place in my heart for "friends" from the UK. Both of my grandparents and my sister-in-law are from there. I've always wanted to go, but haven't had a chance yet.

      Hope you have a wonderful weekend too!

      Delete
    2. Hi Terri - just about to catch up on posts as got behind again and noticed your lovely reply. Ooops about Loquats but for some reason I thought they grew in the US :)

      I hope your dream will come true and you can come to the UK oneday..
      I feel the same about U.S friends and I always hope oneday when I am doing family history research that I will find a direct connection to the U.S - I have some branches that emmigrated way back, but maybe that does count a little...
      oh and a cousin that moved there about 25 or more years ago and now lives in New Orleans - would love to go there too - and if I could walk all the way instead of having to fly I'd have been by now :)

      sorry for waffling on - off to check on your posts now
      Gill x

      Delete
  3. Good to see that you've had a wonderfully creative week, Terri. Both art pieces are strong and lovely.
    Artwork & food - my two favorite subjects.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Chris. I concur about the artwork and food! Hope you have a great weekend.

      Delete
  4. Lovely to see the orange tree in a different kind of season from ours today (frost and snow).
    The skull is a fun skull with all its colours and patterns.
    I do like your girl, she has lovely eyes and that is a clever background where the pink cacti and blue flowers intertwine.
    Have a great week ahead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Shelia. I appreciate your kind words. I hope you have a great week as well!

      Delete
  5. I adore your colourful art Terri! A real tonic to look at on these cold, wet days!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! That is so nice to hear. I hope you have a wonderful week.

      Delete

Thank you for reaching out and leaving your comment. Whether it's a word of encouragement or a constructive critique, I'm grateful. Kindness is King either way.