The Back Story

Monday, July 9, 2018

Giving New Life to an Old Guitar

My dear friends and neighbors
will sometimes give me things
they think I may like to paint. 

This old broken down
guitar is an example of one 
of those things. 

It's been sitting in the corner
of my art room for  a couple
of years waiting to be brought
back to life. 


I had a design percolating 
in my mind, now it was a matter
of putting it all together. 

The same friend that gave me the guitar, 
also gave me the cool wooden heart she'd
designed and had her husband cut out for her. 

I designed a pattern for wings and the "Love"
sign, and my husband cut them out for me
on the scroll saw. 



I strung beads where the tuning keys
would've been.

I used my wood carving tools to 
give the "Love" sign a little dimension. 

I also decided to change the plain heart 
into a flaming heart. 


My husband made
sure every piece was secured
properly with a combination of 
liquid nails and nails or screws. 



Here's another view from the front. 


I'm pleased with the way it 
turned out. 

It was so much fun to create. 

I hope you have a wonderful week ahead! 

Thank you for stopping by. 

Terri






8 comments:

  1. How awesome that you were able to combine both pieces given to you by the same person.
    This is just beautiful, Terri! You are such an original!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I adore this piece Terri! It's an amazing transformation, and makes a great piece of wall art too!
    Alison xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh this has got to be one of my favourites now Terri and really appeals to me as I am surrounded by various musical instruments here. (including a mini keyboard I painted keys with alcohol inks)
    Your guitar is absolutely awesome - and the wings and additions brilliant!
    I always wonder how many hours it must take to paint the things you show - this one must have taken a lot of time.
    Gill xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Gill! We must be kindred spirits. As far as how long it took, over the years I've really cut down on my painting time. I think I worked on this 3 or 4 days. The time goes by so fast when you're doing something you love (as I'm sure you know).

      Delete

Thank you for reaching out and leaving your comment. Whether it's a word of encouragement or a constructive critique, I'm grateful. Kindness is King either way.