The Back Story

Monday, March 12, 2018

Folk Art Chicago Skyline WIPS

 A dear relative of mine asked
me if I could paint a 
picture of the Chicago skyline
in my folk art style for her. 

I told her I'd be happy
to give it whirl, and she could
decide (under no obligation)
if it's what she had in mind. 

This has been an EXTREMELY
tough challenge for me
over the past couple of weeks. 

It's not a subject that
would ever pop into my head if I was 
sitting around one day wondering
what to paint. 

I gravitate toward "fluffy" (cats, animals,
flowers, etc. . .), or "funky" (skulls, collage, 
Mexican inspired pieces, etc. . .). 

I ended up painting two scenes.

This first one is at daybreak
with a more realistic configuration
of the actual buildings. 


The next one is a night time scene where I 
took some key buildings and lined them up
side by side. 



I'm so grateful for the opportunity
to stretch and grow and step
out of my comfort zone. 

I messaged her with these pictures and
thanked her for the gift of "growing"
through this experience. 

There's still a bit of polishing to do on both
of them, but this is the gist and I've set
them aside for now. 

What's my first piece I chose
to work on after this mental challenge?

It's a wood butterfly my husband put
together for me (cue the Smurf theme song here). 

Wishing you all a satisfyingly productive week!

Terri <3




12 comments:

  1. It's really difficult to make an artwork for someone else who has her own idea of what it will be like. I think you have made two marvellous paintings of the skyline in your own colourful style. I'm sure your relative will love these.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your words of understanding and encouragement Sheila!

      Delete
  2. Wow! I really love both of these. Your style is always so charming and I think it works really well here. (:

    ReplyDelete
  3. Both skyline versions you created are fantastic - it doesn't show that it was a tough challenge for you.

    I love making stuff for family, but it does make me a little more nervous than making something for an average Joe. There's that sense of wanting to make them proud added to the mix.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Steph. I agree with you. I find that if I'm making something for a stranger there's not the pressure that's there when it's for someone you know.

      Delete
  4. These are both fantastic. It's good to be pressed out of our comfort zones-I think you handled the challenge beautifully!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Debra. I think you're right. It is a good thing!

      Delete
  5. oh wow Terri - I really love both of these. I agree with Sheila about making things for others, I'm sure your relative will love these.
    Gill x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Gill! I appreciate your visit and kind words.

      Delete
  6. You did a very good job Terri, your skylines look both great. I like your special style and choice of colors.
    You created two fresh and friendly images.
    Dear Greetings
    Sabine

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reaching out and leaving your comment. Whether it's a word of encouragement or a constructive critique, I'm grateful. Kindness is King either way.