The Back Story

Tuesday, February 6, 2018

A Sugar Skull, a Puppy, and the Superstitions


There's a photo realism piece
I'd like to get started on this week. 

I'm all prepped for it and am ready to go. 

You could say the plane is on the runway 
and ready for take off. 

It's just waiting for clearance
from the tower (me). 

I haven't done one since high school,
and am finding myself procrastinating.

Why do I do this to myself?

Who cares if it doesn't turn out?

I can just paint over it and 
start again. 

While I'm in my self imposed
"holding pattern," I decided
to paint some simple light
hearted folk art pieces.  

Now that I'm reflecting on
these folk art pieces, they may
actually be harder than the
photo realism piece I'm planning. 

It's hard for me to paint freely. 

Photo realism isn't free. 

Hmmm. . . 



I finished up another
sugar skull.

That's 2 down and 2 to go
on that project. 

I only did one coat of 
the blue because I 
like a little of 
the black showing through. 

It's gives it a more rustic feel. 


I thought I'd share some pictures
from our weekend adventure. 

My husband and I live a short distance from
the Superstition Mountains and Wilderness
which is part of the Tonto National Forest in Arizona. 

It's such a beautiful place to explore. 

The only wildlife we saw this time
were some turkey vultures and
a beautiful herd of black cows
(all wearing their fuzzy winter coats). 

I wanted to take a picture of them until
we saw the bull, and then we decided to 
zip on out of there.





 Hope you're having a wonderful week!

Thanks for visiting. 

6 comments:

  1. I think that my folky paintings are the hardest ones for me to do. I am hoping by doing more realistic paintings, that it will help me in the folky stuff that I dearly love. You are doing wonderful art-don't ever down yourself! I'm no one to be a judge anyway-but I know what I like! Keep up with your art, and have fun-it always shows when someone is having fun doing their art. Your journey into the desert was so interesting! It really is lovely and so fun for me to see it in your photos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your words of encouragement Debra! It means a lot to me. Glad you liked the desert photos as well.

      Delete
  2. I don't care what you paint, Terri, I'm gonna love it.
    Appreciate your beautiful photos, too. Thanks for sharing those. It's obvious you enjoyed your weekend adventure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, thank you Chris! Your kind words are appreciated very much. <3

      Delete
  3. Great photos and wonderful artworks Terri! Xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reaching out and leaving your comment. Whether it's a word of encouragement or a constructive critique, I'm grateful. Kindness is King either way.