The Back Story

Friday, February 16, 2018

Outsider Art

I've always loved outsider art.

I should probably qualify that statement.
Some of it can be pretty dark and disturbing,
and not my cup of tea. 

I'm drawn more towards uplifting, colorful,
positive themes and images. 

What I'm most drawn to is the idea
that this is my own little world. 

If I want a flower taller than a 
high rise, I can have that. 

I guess I'm always drawn to
the freedom of expression that 
outsider art (or art in general) lends. 

Sometimes life can seem so structured
and regimented. 

It's nice to "escape" for a little
while into a land of my own. 



I also finished number 3 of 4 smaller sugar skulls. 

This guy needs some Visine. 

That's sometimes how I feel when
I wake up.

Yikes!



Hope you have a great and productive weekend! 

Terri

8 comments:

  1. Your skull made me laugh! He's great! And I have to tell you-YOU are an artist-I hope you know that. I think you do-but sometimes we can get sidetracked by other people's art. I'm probably writing more for me than you-you seem to know where you're headed...All this to say-I LOVE your art! I also love friendly outsider art and I'm getting back to my folk art roots as time goes by. Sorry this is so long-just wanted to encourage you and say well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Debra. You saying you laughed made me laugh. I'm so glad we're on this journey together! Your encouragement is a true blessing.

      Delete
  2. LOL ! He looks like me in the morning.. before the coffee that is..
    I love your art, happy , bright, and yes you can make a flower as tall as you like..

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally agree with your thinking Terri, and I love your crazy, colourful world, and the expression on your sugar skull!
    Wishing you a happy weekend,
    Alison xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yes, the "right" outsider art is marvellous and inventive.
    I love your "Outsider" King Cat in his own colourful world with the heart flowers, multi-coloured sky and his friend the red bird.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reaching out and leaving your comment. Whether it's a word of encouragement or a constructive critique, I'm grateful. Kindness is King either way.